Business License: 12 00001303

For general information:

Public Works
Phone: (310) 544-5252
Fax: (310) 544-5292

Monday to Thursday - 7:30am to 5:30pm
Friday - 7:30am to 4:30pm
Saturday & Sunday - Closed

To work within the Public Right of Way, which can include: sidewalks, parkways, driveway aprons and gutters, you will need an Encroachment permit. For more information call City staff at (310) 544-5252.

Weekly Trash Pick-up:

The City of Rancho Palos Verdes is divided into different service areas. Each area has once a week trash, recycling and green waste collection. All material is collected on the same day, but by three separate trucks. EDCO services 95% of the City, and operates Monday through Friday. Call EDCO customer service at 310-540-2977 or check EDCO website at:

Universal Waste Systems (UWS)
UWS Services 5% of the City. UWS services primarily the Palos Verdes Drive South (PVDS) area and the Portuguese Bend Landslide areas of the City. UWS operates on Thursdays. Call UWS customer service at 800-631-7016.

Place trash in the gray, recycling in the blue, and yard waste in the green colored carts. Avoid contaminating, by not mixing trash with recycling material. If you need additional trash or recycling carts, please call your hauler.

Hazardous Material:

You have two options for the disposal of your unwanted electronics waste and household hazardous waste. (For exact list, scroll down)


Weekly Disposal Opportunity: There is a convenient and free weekly option for the proper disposal of HHW/E-Waste. There is a local permanent household hazardous waste and electronics waste collection facility open to all LA County residents. It is located in the neighboring City of San Pedro.

Gaffey SAFE Collection Center
1400 N. Gaffey Street, San Pedro
Open every Saturday and Sunday
(It is closed on weekdays)
From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Directions: The collection facility is located on Gaffey Street, close to the 110 Freeway. Opposite the DMV, by the railroad tracks. It is close to the new Target store. It is between Capital Dr. and Channel St., next to a smog check shop. Drive slowly. It has a small sign and it's easy to pass by and miss it!

Annual Disposal Opportunity: The City hosts annual roundups at the RPV City Hall/ City Yard facility located at 30940 Hawthorne Blvd. in fall of each year.

Clean out your garage and/or gardener's shed, and help the environment. If you can not make it to this roundup, the Gaffey SAFE center is open every week. Additionally, LA County organizes HHW/E-Waste events every Saturday throughout LA County. Please call 1-888-CLEANLA, or check: or for another convenient roundup location.


EDCO and Universal Waste Systems (the City's two residential trash haulers) pickup unwanted electronics waste at curbside free of charge. The acceptable items include TV's, computer monitors, CPUs, printers, etc. However, you must call their customer service first and schedule an electronic/bulky item pickup. The e-waste gets collected by a separate truck (not the regular trash truck), so your items will not be picked up unless you call in advance and schedule a collection. Pickup is typically scheduled on your next pickup day. There is a limit of four free collections per year (and each time up to 4 items can be collected). No household hazardous waste is accepted.

EDCO: (310) 540-2977
Universal Waste Systems: (800) 631-7016

If your item is in usable condition, please first contact a charity. There are several charitable organizations that could use your unwanted items. For example the Salvation Army (800) 958-7825, Goodwill (562) 435-7741, United Cancer Research Society (800) 443-4224, or St. Vincent de Paul (800) 974-3571, etc. Not only will your unwanted items help a needy person or a good cause, but it will also help the City meet State mandates by reducing the trash going to landfills. Your donation could also be tax deductible.


Computer Monitors, CPU's, Printers, Network Equipment, Cables, Telephones, TV's, Microwave Ovens, Video Games, Cell Phones and batteries, Radios, Stereos, VCRs & DVD Players, Answering Machines, Printers & Fax Machines, and Electronic Toys. They can be in working or non-working condition. The electronic waste cannot be from businesses. A limit of 3 CRT's per household/ per vehicle.


No Appliances (refrigerators, washing machines, ovens), No Furniture, No paper, No Computer Software. If you have unwanted appliances, first contact a charitable organization (see list and phone numbers above). If the item is not wanted, then contact your waste hauler for a free bulky item pickup.


Paint and Solvents, Used Motor Oil and Filters, Anti-Freeze and other Automotive, Fluids, Cleaning Products, Pool and Garden Chemicals, Aerosol Cans, Herbicides & Pesticides, Fluorescent Lights, Asbestos, Old Medicine, sharps/Needles (in secure container), Household and Car Batteries, Mercury thermometers and Propane Tanks. Limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds per vehicle.


No waste from Businesses, No Ammunition, No Explosives, No Radioactive Material, No Biological Waste, No Tires, and no Trash.
NOTE: There is no charge for the Acceptable Items. If your items are small, just put them in a box, preferably in their original container. You do not need to unload any thing. Just sit in your car and trained workers will remove the items from your vehicle.


For additional information visit the County website, for more information, or call 1-888-CleanLA, or 1-800-238-0172.

Recycling Ordinance:

The City has not adopted a C & D recycling ordinance. However, the City promotes the use of nearby C & D recycling facilities. The City also offers commercial haulers a credit on their quarterly AB 939 fees if they take material to various recycling facilities including SERRF, Chandlers', MRF's, etc. For several years, the City has been requiring waste certifications from private contractors, as part of their building permit for construction or remodeling projects in the City (if exceeding a certain valuation threshold). Additionally, staff requires that all City funded projects, where possible, recycle their waste material especially inert material, and/or reuse material from the project.

  1. Improve the City's construction and demolition recycling and implement programs.
  2. Review recycling tonnage and certificates from contractors performing City funded projects.
  3. Review recycling tonnage and certificates from contractors performing private projects, as part of their building and planning permits (for valuation over $100,000).
  4. Review (when needed) development projects tentative and final recycling plans.
  5. If needed, work with staff and City Attorney for new ordinance(s).