For general information:

Building & Safety Division
633 E. Broadway, Rm. 101
Glendale, CA 91206

Phone: (818) 548.3200
Fax: (818) 548.3215

To schedule an inspection:
(818) 548.4830

General Inspection Questions:
(818) 548.4836

Customer Service Counter Hours:
Monday-Friday 7am to 3pm



For a copy of the Cash Diversion Security Deposit form, click:

For a copy of the Faithful Performance Security form, click:

For a copy of the Security Agreement form, click:

For a copy of the C&D Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan Compliance Reporting form, click:

For a copy of the C&D Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan Compliance Reporting form, click:

Weekly Trash Pick-up:

To find out when trash will be picked up in your neighborhood, call the Integrated Waste Management Division at (818) 548-3916 or refer to Glendale public works, Refuse/Trash recycling section, click Automated Refuse & Recycling, click into Map & Schedule. There you can view city map with listed trash collection schedule.

In addition to free Residential Bulky Item Collection, the City of Glendale offers refuse and recycling services using two types of containers for both residences and businesses. For information on these services, please click on the type of container you have and on whether the container is at a business or at a residence, with residences divided between a 1-4 unit dwellings and 5+ unit dwellings.

To schedule free residential Bulky and Electronic Item Pickup Service, residents should either call (818) 548-3916 and leave a message with your address, collection day, description of item(s), and location of item(s) OR visit the Glendale Bulky Item Collection website and fill out the electronic form. Collection should be scheduled at least three working days prior to the refuse collection day in your area (e.g. Wednesday for the following Monday collection). Residents of multi-family buildings can call (818) 548-3916 to verify the collection day for your area. Businesses and landlords of multi-family dwellings can call the same number and speak to customer service to request a special pickup of bulky items, which is charged at the special pickup rate listed under Refuse Rates.

Click HERE for Trash Collection Area Map -- Adobe Acrobat Reader required.

  • Place the bulky items next to but apart from your refuse, recycling and yard trimmings containers. If your building has bin service, items should be placed at the curb.
  • Do not place bulky items in the street or alley where they may obstruct traffic or cause a hazardous condition.
  • Items may be put out the night before your regular collection day but no sooner than 7:00 p.m. All items must be placed out by 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection.

Bulky items include household furnishings (e.g. sofas, mattresses, floor lamps without light bulbs) and appliances (e.g. hot water heaters and refrigerators).

Glendale Water and Power has two programs to financially assist residents in recycling secondary refrigerators or old (10 years plus) refrigerators. Go to the Glendale Water & Power "Cool Care" page and Smart Home Refrigerator Recycling Program page for details on these programs. Refrigerators/freezers that are placed at the curb for bulky item collection must have their doors removed.

Carpet and lumber are accepted if bundled and less than five feet in length and two feet in diameter.

Yard trimmings, tires, glass items (e.g. aquariums, glass doors), cast iron bathtubs, and other construction/building materials, including asphalt and concrete, are not accepted.

Do not place bulky items in cardboard boxes or mix them with refuse.

Cardboard boxes should be broken down and placed in your gray recycling container or taken to the Recycling Center for sale or drop-off. Hazardous materials, such as oil or paint, should be taken to the Environmental Management Center. Check the Fire Department's Web site for more details.

For more information, call (818) 548-3916 during our office hours:
Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 5:00 pm

Hazardous Material:

It is illegal to dispose household hazardous wastes (HHW) in the garbage, down drains, or onto the ground. As further explained at this State of California website, the following wastes are banned from the trash: fluorescent lights, batteries, most electronic devices, household and landscape chemicals (including pesticides and pool care products), paints and solvents, treated wood, building materials containing asbestos, motor oil, antifreeze, compressed gas cylinders, and needles and sharps generated in home health care.

As explained on the Glendale Fire Department website, household hazardous waste is accepted at the City's Environmental Management Center (EMC):

Environmental Management Center
780 Flower St.
Glendale, CA 91201

Wednesdays and Saturdays 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Please call (818) 548-3862 for a pre-recorded message on types and quantities of waste accepted as well as who is eligible to use this city service.


Flushing pharmaceuticals down the toilet is not a good practice. These products are pollutants which contaminate water sources. Samples of stream water have detected human drugs, veterinary drugs, detergents, personal care products, fragrances, insecticides and other chemicals. In addition, small traces of prescription drugs have even been detected in fish.

Recycling Ordinance:

Construction and demolition (C&D) debris represents as much as 20 percent of all Glendale waste. Over half of this material can be recycled at relatively low cost, conserving natural resources and saving valuable landfill space.

In response to State-mandated waste reduction goals, and as a part of the City's ongoing efforts to reduce the landfill disposal of waste, the City adopted Ordinance No. 5478 in 2005 (Chapter 8.58 of GMC). The ordinance, which as amended by Ordinance No. 5627 in 2008, requires that the waste from certain construction and/or demolition projects be either taken to a certified mixed debris recycling facility or to a recycler that will divert all the accepted waste such as concrete, metal, etc.) from a landfill.

When a demolition or construction permit is requested, and the project falls under the "Covered Project" criteria, the applicant will receive a Construction and Demolition Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan Application Form that must be completed and approved prior to permits being issued.

This applies to the following projects:

  • Construction or demolition projects with a valuation of $100,000 or more
  • Residential additions of 1,000 sq. ft. or more
  • Tenant improvements of 3,000 sq. ft. or more
  • New structures of 1,000 sq. ft. or more
  • Demolition of 1,000 sq. ft. or more

Follow these steps to comply with the Ordinance:

  • Complete and submit a C&D Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan to the Building and Safety Division for approval prior to the issuance of permits.
  • Submit a "Diversion Security Deposit" of 6% of project valuation for demolition projects, 2% of valuation for the construction of or addition to single-family homes, and 3% of project valuation for all other covered projects, with a maximum deposit of $30,000 (REFUNDABLE).
  • At project completion, submit a Construction & Demolition Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan Compliance Reporting Form of actual total material recycled/diverted in order to receive your deposit refund.
  • Allow up to four weeks for processing.