For general information:

77 Fair Drive Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Phone: (714) 754-5323


Phone: (714) 754-5323

The following describe the process to be followed for a private construction project that is subject to the General Construction Permit (1 acre or greater of soil disturbance or less than 1 acre but part of a greater common plan of development): The project owner, developer or contractor is responsible for preparing the Notice of Intent (NOI) and submitting it to the State Water Resources Control Board. Before receiving a grading or building permit, the project owner, developer or contractor must submit to the County/City proof of submittal for General Permit coverage.

  • For grading permit projects, an Erosion Control Plan must be submitted in accordance with the County/City's grading ordinance.
  • Prior to the start of construction a SWPPP, meeting the requirements of the General Construction Permit must be prepared by the owner, developer or contractor. The SWPPP must be implemented year-round throughout the duration of the project's construction. A SWPPP Template is available for download from It is important to note that the County/City and its staff are not responsible for reviewing, approving or enforcing the SWPPP; these are responsibilities of the Santa Ana or San Diego Regional Boards and their staffs. County/City Inspector(s) may choose to use the SWPPP as an informal tool for on-site inspections.
  • Once the project owner, developer or contractor receives a grading or building permit (if applicable) and initiates construction, BMPs must be implemented throughout the duration of the project as specified in Table 3.1.
  • The County/City will inspect and enforce issued and applicable ordinances as noted in Section 5, including implementation of BMPs as specified in Table 3.1.
  • The County/City will notify the appropriate Regional Board of non-compliance when the non-compliance meets the criteria of posing a threat to human or environmental health.
  • Once project construction is completed and the site fully complies with the final stabilization requirements of the General Construction Permit, the owner/developer will submit a Notice of Termination (NOT) to the Regional Board.

Weekly Trash Pick-up:

Costa Mesa Department of Public Services/
Departamento de Obras Publicas de Costa Mesa

Commercial Trash Services/
Servicio Comercial de la Basura

C&D Permits / Construccion & Demolicion Permita/
Permisos de Construccion & Demolition

Hazardous Material:

Household Hazardous Waste must be handled and disposed of with care in order to avoid polluting the environment and possible health hazards.

The following items are considered household hazardous waste:

  • Aerosols (paint, cleaners, lubricants)
  • Antifreeze
  • Automotive Fluids
  • Auto polish & wax
  • Batteries (auto & household)
  • Cleaning Solution
  • Compact Fluorescent Light-bulbs (CFLs)
  • Cosmetics (nail polish & remover)
  • Electronic-Waste
  • Fertilizers
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Fluorescent lights
  • Furniture polish & wax
  • Herbicides
  • Mercury Thermometers
  • Motor Oil
  • Oil filters
  • Paint
  • Pesticides
  • Pool Supplies
  • Sharps/Needles

Please keep in mind that it is illegal to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHW per trip (Department of Transportation requirement).

Also, don't forget to take advantage of the County's "Stop & Swap" program. The "Stop & Swap" program is available at the County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center and allows you to drop off any products that you might no longer need such as paint, fertilizers, and electronic waste.

Hazardous Waste Collection Centers

There are four convenient centers located throughout Orange County that accept residential toxic waste. All of the centers are open Tuesday-Saturday 9a.m.-3p.m. and are closed on rainy days and holidays. Note: proof of Orange County residency is required.

Irvine Regional HHW Center
6411 Oak Canyon (adjacent to the City of Irvine O.S.F.)

Anaheim Regional HHW Center
1071 N. Blue Gum Street

Huntington Beach Regional HHW Center
17121 Nichols Street

San Juan Capistrano Regional HHW Center
32250 La Pata Ave.

For more information on any of the aforementioned centers or materials accepted, please contact Integrated Waste Management directly at (714) 834-4000 or by visiting

Recycling Ordinance:

In 2007, the City formed a task force to take a closer look at sustainable building. The Costa Mesa "Green Team" was established to evaluate the feasibility of integrating sustainable building techniques in new publicly and privately developed projects as well as major retrofits. Task force members were compromised of various City staff members, as well as representatives of the community, and met to formulate a policy, which was submitted to and passed by, City Council, which was implemented on September 5, 2007, and ran through June 30, 2008.