For general information:

City of Lake Forest City Hall
25550 Commercentre Drive, Suite 100
Lake Forest, CA 92630

Planning & Zoning Division
Phone: (949) 461-3491
Fax: (949) 461-3512

Building Division
Phone: (949) 461-3470
Fax: (949) 461-3512

Building Inspections/Schedule
Phone: (949) 461-3468


For a building permit application, click here.


An application for a building permit has been submitted in your name listing yourself as the builder of the property improvements specified.

For your protection you should be aware that as "owner-builder" you are the responsible party of record on such a permit. Building permits are not required to be signed by the property owner unless they are personally performing their own work. If your work is being performed by someone other than yourself, you may protect yourself from possible liability if that person applies for the proper permit in his or her name.

Contractors are required by law to be licensed and bonded by the State of California. They are also required by law to put their license number on all permits for which they apply.

If you plan to do your own work, with the exception of various trades that you plan to subcontract, you should be aware of the following information for your benefit and protection:

  • If you employ or otherwise engage any persons other than your immediate family, and such persons are not licensed as contractors or subcontractors, then you may be an employer.
  • If you are an employer, you must register with the State and Federal Government as an employer and you are subject to several obligations including State and Federal income tax withholding, federal social security taxes, workers' compensation insurance, disability insurance costs, and unemployment compensation contributions.
  • There may be risks for you if you do not carry out these obligations, and these risks are especially serious with respect to workers' compensation insurance.
  • For more specific information about your obligations under federal law, contact the Internal Revenue Service (and, if you wish, the U.S. Small Business Administration). For specific information about your obligations under State law, contact the Department of Benefit Payments and the Division of Industrial Accidents.
  • If the structure is intended for sale, property owners who are not licensed contractors are allowed to perform their work personally or through their own employees, without a licensed contractor or subcontractor, only under limited conditions.
  • A frequent practice of unlicensed persons professing to be a contractor is to secure an '"owner-builder" builder permit, erroneously implying that the property owner is providing his or her own labor and material personally. Building permits are not required to be signed by property owners unless they are performing their own work personally.
  • Information about licensed contractors may be obtained by contacting the Contractors' State License Board in your community or at 1020 N Street, Sacramento, California 95814.

For a copy of the owner-builder verification form, click:

For a Certificate of Compliance, click:

Weekly Trash Pick-up:

Lake Forest contracts with CR&R to provide solid waste hauling and recycling services.

(949) 625-6735
(800) 826-9677

Hazardous Material:

Hazardous Waste Collection Centers

There are four convenient centers located throughout Orange County that accept residential toxic waste. All of the centers are open Tuesday-Saturday 9a.m.-3p.m. and are closed on rainy days and holidays. Note: proof of Orange County residency is required.

Irvine Regional HHW Center
6411 Oak Canyon (adjacent to the City of Irvine O.S.F.)

Anaheim Regional HHW Center
1071 N. Blue Gum Street

Huntington Beach Regional HHW Center
17121 Nichols Street

San Juan Capistrano Regional HHW Center
32250 La Pata Ave.

More information about household hazardous waste disposal is available at 714-834-6752 and at

For more information on any of the aforementioned centers or materials accepted, please contact Integrated Waste Management directly at (714) 834-4000 or by visiting

Recycling Ordinance:

The Integrated Waste Management Act requires jurisdictions to divert 50 percent of their waste in the year 2000. Jurisdictions select and implement the combination of waste prevention, reuse, recycling, and composting programs that best meet the needs of their community while achieving the diversion requirements of the Act. SB 1016, Wiggins, Chapter 343, Statutes of 2008 passed in 2008, introduced a per capita disposal measurement system that measures the 50 percent diversion requirement using a disposal measurement equivalent.

Waste stream tools can help you analyze your waste stream, realize profit opportunities in other's wastes, and determine the diversion programs that will most effectively help your local government meet and maintain its 50 percent goal.